Sunday 20 October 2013

Arduino Board Sync Error Solved



                                               

                                                                 I was happy with my arduino ng older (ATmega8).  I was able to load programs and able to successfully run them. But suddenly I got the error while trying to load program. My board's red LED was not blinking while I turn on the Power Supply or press the reset pin. That error was 


“ avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 ”


                                                                 So as an engineer I checked all the Power supply level of IC, and rest of the components (Capacitors, Inductor and Resistors) with my DMM. But I didn’t found anything wrong. It was suggesting that no component is damaged.  As I was not having frequency meter so  I could not check the Crystal Frequency.

                                                       I thought that might be reason of crystal oscillator damage. As Controller has to communicate with pc in synchronized manner to that frequency and as in error that is mentioned that “not in sync”, so there is the probability of crystal damage. So as a solution I changed the Oscillator with new one.


And checked after connecting to my PC to check whether it is working or not?


And I got same error again. !!!!

                                                                After surfing net and some sites I came to know that was because of bootloader was crashed.

                                                            Now I have to reinstall the bootloader to ATmega8 to solve the issue. To do this I need to buy ISP programmer (AVR ISP) and software of nearly 500 MB (Which is freeware but requires fast net to download which I don’t have that time) to burn the bootloader on IC. So I decided nothing to buy and nothing to download of that much size.


                                                               So I got the solution to burn the bootloader to IC with little bit of soldering and by using the same Arduino Board. What I did is followed the idea of parallel port programmer.

                                                               Instructions for building a parallel port programmer for the Arduino board (or any other Atmega8 chip). Allows you to program the board on Windows without any additional equipment. (Please note, however, that this doesn't allow for communication between the computer and programs running on the board. You'll need a serial cable for that which I was having already.)


Equipment :
 
Soldering iron

(2x) 470 ohm resistor (yellow-purple-brown)

(1x) 220 ohm resistor (red-red-brown)

(1x) parallel port cable or parallel-to-serial adapter

(2x) three wire cables with female connectors on one end, unattached wires on the other
 

Instructions :

 





Remove any existing wires from the parallel connector.

Solder 470 ohm resistors to pins 1 and 2 of the parallel connector.

Solder a 220 ohm resistor to pin 11 of the connector. 



Solder, in order, the three wires of one of the cables to the resistor on pin 11 (which goes to pin 18 on the Atmega8), to the resistor on pin 1 (which goes to pin 19 on the Atmega8), and directly to pin 16 (which goes to the reset, pin 1).

Connect the ends of the two cables so that, when viewed from the connector end, the unused wire is to the upper left and the wire to pin 11 is to the upper right (this is considered pin 1 of the connector and should be matched with the pin 1 indicated on the Arduino board). 


                                                                 Hot glue the wires inside the case of the parallel-to-serial adapater, making sure that any uninsulated wires are kept apart. Or, if not using an adapter, wrap the exposed wires with electrical tape to keep them from touching.

Software

                                                                         You'll need to download giveio from MIT's Microcomputer Project Laboratory (thanks Jim!) and run the enclosed ginstall.bat file.
                                                                      See the bootloader page for details on using your new parallel port programmer to burn the bootloader onto the Arduino board. 


For more info go to :
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

http://web.mit.edu/6.115/www/pic.shtml

http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader
 

 Thank You : D


 

No comments:

Post a Comment